Chemical Synthesis of Life (Biotechnology and Society)
We'll discuss two different types of chemically synthesized "protocells".
Error fetching PMID 19351200:
- Marchant, J. "Oil droplets mimic early life." Nature News Feb. 2011. Read Article
News article describing Hanczyc and Szostak systems.
- Hanczyc, M. "The line between life and not-life" TED Talk May 2011. (15 min). Watch on TED.com
- Error fetching PMID 19351200:
Paper describing the chemistry behind the movies.
- Szostak, J.W. "Part 1: The Origin of Cellular Life on Earth" iBIology Lecture. July 2011 (55 minutes). Watch on iBiology.org
You can skip past the general intro to minute 10 with the slide "Modern Life".
- Visit Exploring Origins Website
Website further describing the components of Szostak protocells. Read through this as if it were an article.
- Complete series of three Szostak lectures. Watch on iBiology.org