Cloning versus Stem Cell Therapies (Biotechnology and Society 2016)
Everyone: Dolly the Sheep and Pet Cloning
- Wilmut I, Schnieke AE, McWhir J, Kind AJ, Campbell KH (1997) Viable offspring derived from fetal and adult mammalian cells. Nature 385:810–813.
Paper describing cloning of Dolly the sheep.
- Stewart C (1997) Nuclear transplantation. An udder way of making lambs. Nature 385:769, 771.
News and Views article accompanying Dolly article.
- Pera M, Trounson A (2013) Cloning debate: Stem-cell researchers must stay engaged. Nature 498:159–161.
Compares the development of ESC, SCNT, and iPSC technologies and mentions some applications.
- My Friend Again: Pet Cloning Service
See especially, the "My Dog has died" link.
- The Dark Side of Pet Cloning Emily Singer MIT Technology Review. January 30, 2009.
Comment about pet cloning services.
- This American Life piece on (Second) Chance the cloned Bull
- How Cloning Works
Hwang Woo-suk Czar
- Cyranoski D (2014) Cloning comeback. Nature 505:468–471.
Story of the career of Woo Suk Hwang.
- Hwang WS et al. (2005) Patient-specific embryonic stem cells derived from human SCNT blastocysts. Science 308:1777–1783.
Check out the paper and the follow-up retraction.
- Be sure to describe specifically what the scientific misconduct was for the two major studies and what the penalties were.
- Stem Cells and Parkinson's Disease at the Michael J. Fox Institute
This is a good resource for getting a basic understanding of the cause of Parkinson's disease. Also click around and look at other treatment options under "Understanding Parkinsons". For example, medications for motor symptoms.
- Barker, R. A., Drouin-Ouellet, J., Parmar, M. (2015) Cell-based therapies for Parkinson disease—past insights and future potential. Nat. Rev. Neurol. 11: 492–503.
Comprehensive review of subject.
- Barker, R. A., Parmar, M., Kirkeby, A., Björklund, A., Thompson, L., Brundin, P. (2016) Are Stem Cell-Based Therapies for Parkinson’s Disease Ready for the Clinic in 2016? J. Parkinsons. Dis. 6: 57–63.
Up to the minute updates.
- List of current clinical trial's for Parkinson's Disease involving stem cells
Organ Regeneration Czar
Focus on treatment of myocardial infarction and related heart disease.
- NIH Regenerative Medicine Fact Sheet for a quick overview of the field.
- Kempf, H., Andree, B., Zweigerdt, R. (2016) Large-scale production of human pluripotent stem cell derived cardiomyocytes. Adv. Drug Deliv. Rev. 96: 18–30.
- Medhekar, S. K., Shende, V. S., Chincholkar, A. B. (2016) Recent stem cell advances: Cord blood and induced pluripotent stem cell for cardiac regeneration - a review. Int. J. Stem Cells 9: 21–30.
- Eight tiny organs grown by scientists Euro Stem Cell.
Why might you want to grow a tiny organ?